Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lessons Learned

There are so many things that I have learned while doing this rotation in Dominica.  This rotation was such an amazing experience I am so grateful that I was able to experience it.  There are so many things that I have learned while doing this rotation. While in Dominica, I realized how much we take for granted in the US.  I think it's hard to really realize the extent of what we take for granted until you actually have the experience of seeing how little these people live with and yet how happy and grateful they are for what they have. I think that is what meant to the most to me is seeing how little these people have, how limited they are on basic medical supplies, and even in the schools how limited they are on basic things such as children's reading books, but yet are still so happy. I could not believe how caring everyone is to eachother and how eager they are to always help eachother out. There is always a friendly smile on all of their faces. While being back in the US, I have been more aware of my surroundings and have realized how much we stress over the little things and how busy we seem to be in our lives to not take the time to enjoy what we have. This rotation has taught me to enjoy and be grateful for everything that we have, to not sweat the small stuff, to enjoy the company of others, and also to take the time and help someone in need. The people in Dominica have taught me these valuable life lessons of helping others and to always be thankful for what we have that I will be sure to take with me forever and always cherish.
-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment