Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lessons Learned

It’s hard to pinpoint only one lesson learned from the vast experiences I’ve had while in Dominica.  This small country and its people have taught me many valuable lessons that I will never forget.  For starters, from the moment we stepped into the clinic for the first time I quickly realized how much we take for granted in the US.  We have nearly everything at our fingertips, while some people in Dominica go without basic necessities and medical care due to cost or unavailability.  We have adequate housing, clothing, medical care, and schooling among many other things yet still some of us Americans aren’t happy enough.  The people in Dominica have far less than we have in many aspects of life but oddly enough they are overall much happier people.  They trust and love one and other and will always go above and beyond to help a neighbor out.  From these interactions I’ve learned that the simple things in life are the most meaningful and money doesn’t mean much when it comes to happiness.  The people of Dominica may not have everything, but they surely do make the most of everything that comes their way.  I’ve also learned that you can still achieve your goals while leading a more relaxed and peaceful life.  We won’t stop achieving our goals if we give up our hurried and competitive lifestyle.  Since I’ve been back, my goal has been to stop worrying about the small stuff and I’ve quickly realized that when it comes down to it, it’s almost all small stuff!  When I find myself stressed and overwhelmed, I will do my best to think back to my experience and the lessons I’ve learned from the people of Dominica.
- Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment