Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reflecting on Dominica

Hey everyone,

So this is just a little change of pace compared to my typical posts. Tonight I just wanted to share with everyone my current feelings about this island, its people, and the culture that I have been exposed to over the last couple days. There is a laundry list of experiences that I have been a part of; beautiful hikes, amazing waterfalls, wonderful people, and breathtaking environments. Though there is one aspect of this that does stand out to me more than others, it is the fact that I have been so humbled by the people of this country. Being here I have realized how much that I have been taking for granted the lifestyle that has been handed down to me. The internet, running water, power, cars, cell phones, TVs, Mp3’s, medicines, foods, everything and anything that I may use on a daily basis that no one here has and the fact that most are completely fine and happy. Of course many may have never been exposed to such products in the first place, but the fact that a person can live a meaningful and productive life without the accessories that we use so often just puts me in a standstill. I begin to ask myself, can I begin to live a life that is simpler? A more stress free life? Maybe, possibly, in all honesty the lifestyle of the people of this country is rubbing off on me. I find myself being more relaxed, walking more slowly, being less “high strung” in instances where I may be. I guess I’m trying to say…that to say any one part of this rotation would be more “meaningful” then another would be a crime against the true testament of what this country has done for me. (Which is very impressive since it has been such a short amount of time). I signed up to this rotation and came to this country to help make a difference in someone’s life. To help bring supplies, updated information, and my own knowledge to make an impression and improve the lives of people who may not understand things that I know. What I have found though that the impression is less on them, and more on myself. The truth is…the life that I hoped to change is less of someone else, but my own…. Alright enough reflecting, time to go to sleep. See you all tomorrow with more updates!! J

- Tyler 

No comments:

Post a Comment